There is a point every Minneapolis winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Minneapolis home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with workable means and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only function as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Minneapolis to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Minneapolis a call at 612-249-7371 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.